Look at Ubuntu Linux

Ubuntu screenshot of my desktop
Here's a screen shot tour of the newest and best in the latest release of Ubuntu Linux. On the right is a screen shot of my desktop running the latest release of Ubuntu Linux - v8.04.

The great thing about using Linux is that it does not need the latest hardware. The machine featured in the screen shot could barely run Windows XP Home edition. It needed firewalls and an anti virus software to be installed, which made it slowwwer!

So I moved to using Ubuntu in 2006 and have since been using it about 40% of the time (the other 60% is when I use my higher spec-ed work laptop that runs Windows). Since then this machine is my #1 non-work machine :-)

If you are not sure what Ubuntu is, you should check out this page.